Tuesday, March 4, 2008

TV Talk ~ Jon & Kate plus 8



I really love watching this show. If you have never heard of it, climb out from under your rock! No, I'm just kidding. But seriously, Jon & Kate are a young couple (31 & 33 respectively) who have 7-year old twin girls (Cara & Mady) and 3-year old Sextuplets (Alexis, Hannah, Aaden, Collin, Leah & Joel).
This family has decided to allow TV cameras into their home and they now have a weekly 'reality-tv' show. Their show gives a glimpse into the lives of managing life with 8 kids. It is almost like a guilty pleasure. Sometimes things get so crazy you wouldn't believe it. And other times I cant believe how smoothly things go, with a family that large.
The relationship between Jon & Kate is interesting also. She is super organized and self-admittedly a control freak. Jon seems laid back, kind of goofy, but very involved with the household duties and helping with the kids.
A lot of people say that seeing this show makes them think of us. I don't know if that is good or bad...lol! Honestly, there are some similarities. I think there is something common to having kids in general. Multiples adds to that (no matter how many there are). Being a stay-at-home mom. Having an involved husband. Breaking up fights, encouraging hugs, keeping lists, charts and calendars. How to balance giving attention equally and helping the older sibling(s) not feel left out.
But there are also many differences. First off, we simply don't have THAT many kids! I think Kate is kind of mean to Jon at times. She is WAY overboard organized. She seems to have helpers in her house on a regular basis to help with laundry, cleaning, and other chores. They get lots of 'free' stuff, which helps them take fancy vacations, etc.
Overall, I love the show. I have it set up to record on our DVR so I don't miss an episode. Even if I don't agree with everything they show, I think it is interesting and also sometimes I learn something from watching.
Tune in and let me know what you think? It is on TLC Monday nights at 9pm, with re-runs airing throughout the week.

1 comment:

CKF said...

I will try to set up my tivo to check it out. I remember you mentioning it before and I had forgotten to set it up. I will let you know what I think!