Tuesday, February 5, 2008

What is a Meme?

I will probably write a few different posts tonight because I want to start something new that I hope will turn out to be fun and interesting!
So I am fairly new to this 'blogging world' and during these 5-6 months I have begun to learn some 'rules' to keeping a blog, how to keep them interesting and some new terminology. The latest term I learned is 'Meme'. "What is that?" you may ask. Well, I wondered the same thing, so I looked it up!
The term and concept of meme is from the 1976 book by Richard Dawkins, The Selfish Gene. Though Dawkins defined the meme as "a unit of cultural transmission, or a unit of imitation," memeticists vary in their definitions of meme.
Some pronounce it so it rhymes with 'dream'; others so it sounds like 'mem' (from mem-ory).
In the context of web logs / 'blogs / blogging and other kinds of personal web sites it's some kind of list of questions that you saw somewhere else and you decided to answer the questions. Then someone else sees them and does them and so on and so on. I generally consider these to be actual questions and not some multiple choice quizzes that determine some result at the end (what color you are most like, what cartoon character are you, what 80s movie are you).
Eventually some people decided they were going to create weekly questionnaires (memes) and post them every week. Some are monthly, a few are daily and some are always there.
This information was taken from the following website:
http://thedailymeme.com/

I have decided to start a few memes myself (which I cannot take credit for, I found them all online). I will start with one called Ten on Tuesday. I hope you like it. Please leave comments about what you think. And also, if you have a website/blog that you will post it on, please put a link in my comments so others can track that as well!! Let's have fun with this!

No comments: