Tuesday, February 12, 2008

The Choice by Nicholas Sparks


The Choice by Nicholas Sparks
Published in 2007. 272 Pages.

http://www.amazon.com/Choice-Nicholas-Sparks/dp/0446579920


First sentence: (from the Prologue) Stories are as unique as the people who tell them, and the best stories are those in which the ending is a surprise.

Last sentence: (from the Epilogue) But most of all, it was a day in which everything was exactly the way it should be.

What it’s about: (taken from amazon.com) The story takes place in Beaufort, N.C. and the main characters are veterinarian Travis Parker and his next-door neighbor Gabrielle Holland, a physician's assistant who just moved in. After a crazy first meeting where Gabby accuses Travis's boxer of impregnating her purebred collie, the two fall hard for each other. Already dating someone else seriously, Gabby is faced with a dilemma: whether to stick with longtime boyfriend Kevin, or get involved with Travis. The first part of the tale paints a vivid picture of her decision-making process and its effects on Travis and Gabby's lives. That sets up Part II, which takes place 11 years later when Travis faces a life and death decision following a car accident. Spanning the eventful years of young love, marriage and family, THE CHOICE ultimately confronts us with the most heart-wrenching question of all: how far would you go to keep the hope of love alive? A tender and moving love story and a quick read.

Why I read this book: I have read every one of Nicholas Sparks’ books and I own them all in Hardcover. This is his 13th book and my mom and Cecil got it for me for Christmas.

My thoughts about this book: It was very easy reading and basically held my interest. I felt it was a bit predictable and fell into the same lines as a basic romance novel. The characters were likeable and at times I felt that I was a part of the story. It did make me think what choice I would have made if given the same circumstances.

When I finished it: February 8, 2008

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I had never heard of this book before, thanks for the info on it. I recently bought his bio Three Weeks with My Brother which he co-wrote with his own brother. I heard it was good. Have you read that one?