Wednesday, October 29, 2008

The Time Traveler's Wife

The Time Traveler's Wife
by Audrey Niffenegger

Published in 2004. 560 pages.

Amazon link

It's being made into a MOVIE!

Genre: Fiction, Fantasy, Sci-Fi

My overall score: 3.75/5

What its about (from amazon.com): This clever and inventive tale works on three levels: as an intriguing science fiction concept, a realistic character study and a touching love story. Henry De Tamble is a Chicago librarian with "Chrono Displacement" disorder; at random times, he suddenly disappears without warning and finds himself in the past or future, usually at a time or place of importance in his life. This leads to some wonderful paradoxes. From his point of view, he first met his wife, Clare, when he was 28 and she was 20. She ran up to him exclaiming that she'd known him all her life. He, however, had never seen her before. But when he reaches his 40s, already married to Clare, he suddenly finds himself time travelling to Clare's childhood and meeting her as a 6-year-old. The book alternates between Henry and Clare's points of view, and so does the narration.

What I thought: It took me a long time to read this book (several months), but was well worth every minute. I was a bit confused in the beginning with the time traveling and figuring out who was where and when. It still baffles me a bit - I'm not a Sci-fi person AT ALL. However, I got past that, and grew to truly enjoy this beautiful love story. Niffenegger does a great job at sequencing the story so that you feel you have read the complete story by the end. I definitely believe that I would have gotten even more out of this book if I had read it in a shorter period of time.

Date finished: October 28, 2008

Currently reading: Kids, Parents, and Power Struggles by Mary Sheedy Kurcinka

Blog sig Kim

1 comment:

Julio Angel Ortiz said...

I give you HUGE props for reading this one, purely because of the sci-fi slant of the story. I've been thinking about reading it, since I've heard a lot of things about it, but I can't get the idea out of my mind that it's a "chick-lit" sci-fi story. Lol.