Saturday, October 25, 2008

Second Chance

Second Chance
by Jane Green

Published in 2008. 400 pages.

Amazon link

Genre: Fiction/Womens Lit.

My overall score: 3/5

What its about (taken from amazon.com): After a terrorist attack on an Amtrak train kills 39-year-old Tom, his death serves as the catalyst for changes in the lives of four estranged schoolmates he left behind in England. Reuniting at Tom's memorial service are Holly, a former free spirit uncomfortably forced into becoming a suburban matron by her workaholic, social-climbing husband; Olivia, a lonely director of an animal shelter; Paul, a writer whose blissful marriage with his fashionable wife is marred by their inability to conceive; and Saffron, a recovering alcoholic actress secretly involved with a married Hollywood megastar. Tom's death reignites their friendship, causes them to reevaluate their lives and sends them marching toward a concluding warm fuzzy.

What I thought: I enjoyed some aspects of this book and was definitely curious how it would all turn out. One thing that really bothered me was all of the typos, spelling & grammar mistakes and inconsistencies in the story line. I almost wondered if the editor was sleeping while reading the story. And something other than a perfectly wrapped up fairy tale ending would have worked much better. I would consider this a quick, easy read if you dont need much substance.

Date finished: October 25, 2008

Currently reading: The Time Travelers Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

Blog sig Kim

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

i bought this a long time ago and forgot about it...thanks for reminding me. guess i need to finish the other 3 i have started first. i've fallen waaaayyyy behind in my reading.

Elizabeth said...

i bought this a long time ago and forgot about it...thanks for reminding me. guess i need to finish the other 3 i have started first. i've fallen waaaayyyy behind in my reading.

CKF said...

ok so how I missed your review on this book I am not sure but I was looking at your reviews for a specific one and this one popped up! I read this and enjoyed it somewhat-I agree it was more fluff and I wanted more substance at the end myself. I always enjoy books that bring old friends back together-I am such a softy!