Sunday, November 9, 2008

The Secret Blog of Raisin Rodriguez

The Secret Blog of Raisin Rodriguez
by Judy Goldschmidt

Published in 2006. 224 pages.

Amazon link

Genre: Fiction, Young Adult (Teen)

Overall Score: 4.5/5 (for age group 10-15)

What its about (taken from penguin.com): Twelve-year-old Raisin Rodriguez has been uprooted from her life in California and plopped down in Philadelphia with her mother, sister, step-father, step-sister Samantha, and Samantha's cross-dressing poodle Countess. The only way Raisin can survive the painful transition is by recording every detail in a secret blog she keeps for her best friends from home.
Raisin shares her latest musings and spills about every humiliating incident that prevents her new friendships from taking off. She even describes the arrival of her dreaded period, just after her thirteenth birthday. But humiliation doesn't begin to cover what Raisin experiences when someone at her new school discovers her blog and prints it out for the world to see.

This hilariously painful and heartbreakingly hysterical novel offers a glimpse into the mind and heart of a truly unique character with an unforgettable voice.

What I thought: Oh my word - I really liked this book. It was a quick read, perfectly completed while snuggling in bed on a chilly Sunday afternoon. Raisin is an adorably loveable, very normal 12-year old girl. Dealing with issues that all 12-year old girls deal with. Popularity. Puberty. Parents. Friendships. Boys. Plus, how could you not love a girl that has a blog! ;) This is a book I would like my girls to read when they get a bit older - it brought me back to those preteen days full of rapidly-changing emotions.

Date finished: November 9, 2008

Currently reading: Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
Series Book 1 of 4. Movie being released in theaters November 21, 2008

Blog sig Kim

2 comments:

CKF said...

so what do you think of Twilight so far? I am so not into vampires that I have ignored it but more and more people are reading it...

Count Your Blessings said...

I am 100% NOT into vampires, but I heard so many good things from a wide range of people that I had to give it a shot. Just bought it last night. Started it tonight and already on page 50 (I'm a slow reader). The first book alone is 500 pages!! But so far seems very good and well written!