Friday, September 12, 2008

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
by J.K. Rowling

Published in 1998. 320 pages.

Amazon link

Scholastic site

Author's website

Genre: Fiction, Children's Lit

My overall score: 4.75/5

What its about (from amazon.com): Say you've spent the first 10 years of your life sleeping under the stairs of a family who loathes you. Then, in an absurd, magical twist of fate you find yourself surrounded by wizards, a caged snowy owl, a phoenix-feather wand, and jellybeans that come in every flavor, including strawberry, curry, grass, and sardine. Not only that, but you discover that you are a wizard yourself! This is exactly what happens to young Harry Potter in J.K. Rowling's enchanting, funny debut novel, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.
Harry finds himself at Hogwarts with his owl Hedwig... and that's where the real adventure--humorous, haunting, and suspenseful--begins. This magical, gripping, brilliant book will be a future classic for sure.

What I thought: Many friends have suggested I read the Harry Potter series, so I finally broke down to read the first book. I had started it a few times before and just couldn't get into it. But I stuck with it this time and I am so glad I did! It was worth every bit of praise it has received over the last ten years. I did not feel like I was reading a book meant for 9-12 year olds at all. Very interesting characters, gripping storyline. If this tells you anything, according to amazon.com, out of almost 5,500 reviewers, 95% gave this book 4 or 5 stars (85% gave 5 stars, 10% gave 4 stars), incredible!

Date finished: September 3, 2008

Currently Reading: The Time Travelers Wife by Audrey Niffenegger (being made into a movie to be released 2010!)

Blog sig Kim

1 comment:

CKF said...

Yeah!! They seriously only get better. One of my fave's is #3 and Ben loves #4. But ultimately, when you get to #7 its so good you are ready to start all over!