Thursday, September 25, 2008

Are you normal?

While watching one of my favorite shows the other night 'Jon & Kate plus 8', I was in tears toward the end. It was the episode called 'Labor Day' where they go back to visit the hospital where the sextuplets were born. They went into the room where the babies were delivered, then they walked through the NICU. At the end, Kate remembered back to when their lives were 'normal'. That's what triggered this post. I have been thinking a lot about this since watching that show.

The reason this episode was so emotional for me is because it hit so close to home. Sometimes it's hard to put into words, especially when speaking with people who have 'never been there'. But higher order multiples completely changes your life. From the pregnancy.... all the way through to today. It sounds terrible to say that you mourn the life you used to have - when things were 'normal'. However, that is exactly how it feels sometimes. Of course I would never give up one of my girls and if given the opportunity now, I would never change a thing. We are so blessed and I thank God every single day for the awesome gift he has granted us with our four beautiful daughters.

But that brings the question: What is normal? Is it normal to have so many children? Including three-at-once? Or for Jon & Kate, six-at-once? At what point does it become 'abnormal'? Or what about people who never want children, is that normal? Or those that want them so badly, but cannot have them? How about parents with an only child? Or step children? Foster children? Children with special needs?

That makes me think about marriage also - at this point, with the divorce rate as it is... Is it normal to be divorced? Or married 20+ years? How about being married multiple times? Some are on their third, fourth, fifth marriages. Normal to get married young to your first love, or wait and not marry until you are older and 'more mature'?

Another place where the question of 'What is normal?' becomes so apparent is with students in school. As you know, I work with a child with 'special needs'. Certain behaviors are considered normal for him and a successful day could be if he didn't hurt anyone or himself. However, for the regular education students, there is a whole other set of expectations. So, which child is normal? Sometimes I see students all around me, who are considered 'normal', but are acting worse than the child I work with. Is that normal?

How about wealthy people? Their normal is very different than ours. They think nothing of hopping into a private jet, flying to Europe, staying in the best hotels, eating at the fanciest restaurants, etc. In the town we live, it is 'normal' to have a housekeeper/maid/cleaning person. Most people that we meet assume that everyone lives with this luxury. So does that make us abnormal?

This is really just a random post of thoughts that have been going through my mind the last few days. Of course, these are rhetorical questions, but I would love to hear your thoughts. Are you normal??

Blog sig Kim

7 comments:

CKF said...

I have no idea what is normal. You raise a lot of big questions that I think a lot of people think but are afraid to speak. I didn't see that episdoe of Jon and Kate yet and I am not sure if I still have it on my ipod or not but if I don't I will look for it (They replay all the time!) Although I can't say I think Kate is normal any way you look at it lol!

I think its an interesting thing to think about being "normal". What is normal for me is not for you and vice versa. OR what is normal for my good friend who is blind is not what is normal for others. We were talking at work today even about how for those of us who work with blind people everyday, seeing anyone out with a disability is "normal" and doesn't phase us but when we go out with people with a disability we notice so many others who don't know how to take it in because its not part of their "normal".

Very nice blog post...got the crazy wheels spinning in that already scary place we talked about earlier!

Elizabeth said...

so wierd you should post about this... i just said to gary the other day (while i was holding ian and he was falling asleep in my arms) that i don't understand how some people chose not to have children, do they know what they're missing...that it's not normal. and how about "some people" on their 3rd divorce...i can tell you that that one is not normal(hehe...you know who i mean)

Unknown said...

Since every class of creature has different levels it’s hard to define normal for all. Its interesting thought when we see people acting there class we say "Typical” as if it’s bad for them to act the "Norm". However once in a while you cross paths with a person who doesn’t fit the normal. I had the pleasure of meeting Paul Newman once, and I even was lucky enough to attend the grand opening of one of his "Hole in the wall Gang" Camps for terminally ill children. If you have 4 min to get to know Paul you will know he was defiantly not "Normal" which makes me seek to be as abnormal as he was.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlSkGUQBtDA

I have never been considered normal at anything I have done. It’s not that I seek this it’s just me :)

Thank you for a fun post that makes you say "huh" This is why I love you so much!

Anonymous said...

Very nice post, and I'll just throw in my $0.02.

I don't know if it's so much about "normalcy" as it is about "context." Your comment about wealthy people nails it. To them, flitting about on jets and having maids, servants, and spending tons of money on, say, cheese (silly, I know, but stick with me here Lol), would seem flighty and frivolous to us. But hey, they have the money, and they won't see it as any different. The context through which they frame their lives are different than yours or mine. I don't know if it's abnormal as much as it's just different.

Our son has certain emotional issues and needs that others would probably scratch their head at. But we are used to it, because we understand why it's happened and how it is being worked on. Again, context.

I think society tries to impose a sense of "normality," while paradoxically trying to have it match all sets of circumstances. Square peg, meet round hole. It will never work.

Count Your Blessings said...

I love everyone's take on this topic! Keep 'em comin!! :)

The Climb said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Climb said...

Great Topic!

Please review my comment on my blog:

http://seekyourreality.blogspot.com

I am totally impressed with the new diversity on your blog. Keep 'em comin, it creates concentration.