Tuesday, July 29, 2008

** Earthquake **

3:15pm
There was just a 5.4 earthquake in California - the center of the earthquake was 15 minutes from the town where Tim is right now...
Here is the article from CNN.
Cell service seems to be out right now (or VERY busy) so I cannot reach him. But he did call and leave me a message through the hotel to say that he is ok and he will get back in touch with me when he can.
Very scary - I will update as I learn more...

UPDATE 3:45pm
...OK I just talked to Tim:
He said he was laying in his hotel bed when everything started shaking. At first he thought an airplane crashed into his building! His furniture was moving. He looked out the window and there were waves in the pool! People were screaming in the hallways. It went on for close to 2 minutes and he said it was very scary.
Apparently this is the worst they have felt since 1987.
I will keep you posted if anything else comes about, but for now it seems to be over. Tim is scheduled to take off tonight (4pm PST, 7pm EST) to head East - hopefully this doesnt interfere with him coming home to us!!

Blog sig Kim

2 comments:

CKF said...

Glad to hear Tim is safe. My friend was on IM with me when it happened. She disappeared for a bit and I just thought she was working and then she came back and said they just had an earthquake and she was checking on family but all seemed ok. Scary. I don't think I would like them-no place to go when they hit unlike around here where we just get snow and hurricanes.
Hope Tim has a safe flight!

Anonymous said...

I had no idea Tim was in CA at the time! I'm so glad he's ok. This was my friend Justin's first earthquake since moving to LA and he said he hopes it's his last. (Not likely if you consider what scientists are saying.) He felt very sick to his stomach afterward. I agree with CKF,there's no where to take shelter when that happens. I'll take snow and the occasional hurricane.