Monday, May 5, 2008

Seven years ago today...

On May 5, 2001 at 7:00pm (on the dot!), my world became a much MUCH brighter place! That is when Kaitlyn Nicole entered our lives and we have never been the same since. Her precious little self melted my heart the instant I laid eyes on her and once I held her for the first time, I never wanted to put her down. Everything about my tiny baby was perfect and she was my dream come true. All of my life, I have wanted to be a mommy. Kaitlyn made that happen!




And now, 7 years later...wow...7 years? Could it really be that long? It seems like just yesterday that we all crowded around her, clapping and shrieking with joy as she took her first steps on Uncle Sean's birthday. I remember vividly how she would dance and sing along word-for-word with The Wiggles and Dora songs. Now she calls them 'baby shows' and doesn't even care to be in the room if they are on. I still get a little jolt in my heart when I hear 'Fruit Salad, Yummy, Yummy'
When Kaitlyn was just 2 years old, her three tiny sisters were born and ROCKED her world!



Yet all of my fears of how she would react were put to rest when I watched how loving and caring she was with them. Honestly, there really wasn't any jealousy those first few years. Of course now, almost 5 years later, we have the usual sibling 'issues', but she is very proud to be their big sister. And they look up to her like she is royalty - definitely their hero. Megan, Morgan and Madison each strive to be like Kaitlyn and they seek her approval with most things they do. Just last night, Megan was sick and Kaitlyn had tears in her eyes. She was all choked up and said 'Mommy, Megan is my best friend. I don't like to see her sick like this.' How sweet. Moments like this take my breath away.



Watching Kaitlyn's little legs climb the steps of the school bus on her first day of Kindergarten, knowing she was leaving our safe little 'nest' of home, was bittersweet. The tears flowed for hours (MINE, not hers!) Of course, she loved it. And did very well. It was awesome to experience the joys of her first year of school: meeting new friends, learning to read, perfecting her handwriting, coming out of her 'shell' and speaking in front of the class.




And now, nearing the end of First Grade, she continues to amaze me. She loves school. Is actually bummed when it is a day off. She loves to read, a girl after my own heart! And she is now reading chapter books. Books she prefers are: Disney Fairy series, June B First Grader, Ramona Quimby, Katie Kazoo and on and on. So far, since January (when their Spelling series began) she has gotten a perfect score on every spelling test. And she does equally well in Math. Last month, they learned all about money and counting change. Now they are learning to tell time. Art is probably her favorite 'special' in school, as she does very well with it. At home, Kaitlyn loves to make bead jewelry, scrapbook, paint or any other arts and craft project imaginable.


Yes, my baby is growing up. I love our special time together when she chatters on and on about things going on at school or when she tells stories about whatever we're playing together. We have recently begun riding bikes to school in the morning, which is an extra special time, because she loves it and again its a nice time for us to be alone together, talking without interruptions.

"Kaitlyn, I love you more than you may ever know. So special, my first-born daughter. You hold such a special place in my heart. I am so proud of you and the person you are becoming. And I'm thankful for our relationship and hope it only grows deeper as each year passes. You will forever be my baby. Happy Birthday my angel! Love, Mommy"

Blog sig Kim

7 comments:

StaceyV said...

I can't believe Kaitlyn is 7. I still remember you calling me crying because Kaitlyn had gotten sick after being in daycare for one day. I think that was the day you decided to be a stay-at-home mom.

CKF said...

Happy Birthday to Kaitlyn! I can't believe its been 7 years either. She is a beautiful, smart girl with a wonderful Mom!!!

(and your post brought tears to my eyes!!)

Elizabeth said...

your post brought tears to my eyes as well. i love the pics when all the girls were little. i hope you all had a wonderful day celebrating kaitlyn's birthday. ps...her card is in the mail. i forgot to mail it until today. tell her i'm sorry.

Count Your Blessings said...

Stacey, I miss you so much! I love reading your memories of those early days - like the McD's sundaes! And my frantic calls about day care. Yes, that was definitely when I realized I couldnt leave my baby. I will never forget the relief I felt after telling Marie 'I cant do this!' It goes soooo fast...

Count Your Blessings said...

Colleen, thank you so much for remembering Kaitlyn's birthday! She loved loved loved your card - in fact she called her sisters over and I had to replay it like 25 times! I have to admit, that was really cute! My post brought tears to my eyes too and looking at those pictures and how much she's grown... makes my head spin!

Count Your Blessings said...

Hey Beth! Pls dont worry about the card, she wont even realize, trust me! And I totally agree about Ian resembling her as a baby, I have thought that for awhile now - but didnt want to freak you out - heehee! I can send you more pics I have of her in those early days where I see a lot of similarities between them. So funny how genetics works, isnt it?!

Anonymous said...

Aaaw... that is soo sweet! You seem like such a great mom! And she's a real beauty too!

Can't wait to get to know you all!