Monday, May 5, 2008

Marriage Monday ~ The Crazy Way We Met

1st Monday Every Month at Chrysalis

I would like to start a new meme, in addition to my Ten on Tuesdays, called Marriage Monday. The ideas will come from this blog. This meme is done on the first Monday of each month - which happens to be today!

The topic for May is: The Crazy Way We Met

So here goes...
I was born in Philadelphia, PA. We lived there until I was 3 years old and then moved to Hatfield. When I was 6 years old we moved to Lansdale. And finally, at 14 years old, we moved to Gilbertsville. I started at a new school in 8th grade on May 1, 1989. Luckily, I met many people during those few weeks of school before summer vacation. It was nice to fit in right away and feel like I was 'home'.
Apparently (I dont remember this...) but I sat next to Tim in homeroom starting that very first day. Of course I was a tad overwhelmed and couldnt tell you exactly who I met during those first few months. He says he tried to talk to me a few times, but again I dont recall. I did sign his 8th grade yearbook, so I know he's telling the truth...heehee!
My picture didnt make the 8th grade yearbook, but here is Tim: now remember, this was 1989, so dont go hatin' on his sweater! (Julio term):

Somehow, our paths did not cross at all during 9th grade and by then I had formed a pretty close-knit group of friends. OK, check us out, Tim in the nifty sweater and me...what's up with that hair! Was that REALLY the style?!?!

The following year, 10th grade, we started High School. It turns out one of my closest friends knew Tim and one day that Fall, we sat at his lunch table. Poor guy. I guess he was smitten from Day one... I remember he used to load all of my trash onto his tray and take it up for me. He would ask me if I wanted any ice cream when he was going up. It was cute. But although it was flattering, I had a boyfriend at the time and didnt even think of Tim in that way. As the months progressed, Tim got his drivers license and offered to pick me up and drive me to and from school. Who would not jump at the opportunity to not have to drive the big yellow school bus?! So I said yes. He seemed nice enough. And our mutual friend (Jen) had known him since before Kindergarten and she promised me he was trustworthy. Other than first thing in the morning when he picked me up, during our occasional lunch together and then in the afternoon when he drove me home, we didnt see each other.

Suddenly, my 16th Birthday was approaching and my best friend at the time (Danielle) pulls me aside and whispers, 'I thought you should know, that Tim Anders guy who drives you to school is planning a surprise birthday party for you!' I was like WHAT?! He doesnt even know any of my friends and I hardly know him. But he had put Danielle in charge of inviting everyone. And the party turned out to be a huge success. I was very thankful, but also shocked that someone I hardly knew would do something like that - hmmm...seems like a nice guy. But once again, I had a boyfriend and was in NO WAY interested in Tim like that.

The following year, on the first day of school, I walked into my French I class and who do I see sitting right in front of me? (think...Anders....Borman (my maiden name) You guessed it. At first I thought, oh my word, is this guy stalking me! But each day, we talked and got to know each other a little better.

By Senior year, we were Best Friends. Literally. We could tell each other anything and everything. We had a lost of mutual friends and spent just about every weekend together. Around January of 1993, Tim began staying at our house during the school week, because he was having some family 'issues'. All through senior year, I dated a French exchange student named Renaud. Although Tim went on a few dates with different girls, he was never able to get serious with anyone. He blamed this on the fact that he was already 'in love' and knew who he was gonna marry (choke, choke). I just laughed him off and continued with our awesome friendship. However, it was around the time of our Senior Prom that Tim had enough. He couldnt stand to see me with Renaud anymore and our friendship was shaky.
Renaud and I on Prom night (with friends):

Tim and his date, Bev:

Ironically, if you'll notice, she and I had very similar dresses in the exact same color - and Tim and Renaud had matching tuxes...what are the chances!?!

By our High School Graduation, we werent speaking :( I was crushed. I missed him like crazy. I knew he was going through some rough times with family (wont go into details) and I wanted to be there for him. But still, I was in a relationship and that bothered him.

In August of 1993, just two months after graduation, Renaud had to return to France - his exchange year was over. Of course being 18 and naive, we thought we would stay together and endure the long-term relationship. I had intentions of flying to France for the holidays (in which I found out later, Renaud had actually bought me an engagement ring and planned to propose at that time!! ooops) About two days after Renaud left, guess who calls? Yep! ...and he says he wasnt watching the calendar, counting down the days!

We started hanging out again. This time, the distractions of me having a boyfriend, peer pressures and popularity, family issues and the other stresses of being a senior in high school were gone. And for the first time, I thought, 'Hey, I really like this guy!' Those few months apart shook me up a bit to realize that I didnt want to live my life without him in it.
On September 20, 1993 we officially started dating. Here is a picture from our first summer together (June 1994):

Tim proposed after four years of dating in the Fall of 1997 and we were married August 22, 1998. The rest is history!!

June's Topic: "My Wedding Day"
To be posted on: June 2, 2008
June is the month of weddings, so don't you think it would be fun to share the story of our nuptials next month? How about sharing a video clip, a podcast, a photo slide show? Be as creative as you want. A good old "bedtime story" will do just fine too. (Tale as old as time... da, da, da, da, da.) This time, the title is up to you!

Blog sig Kim

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

How funny are those pics!!! You've inspired me to dig out my old yearbooks and find my prom pics...just for a laugh. Why did we think "big" hair was soooo cool???

Susannah said...

Now THAT is perseverance! You have a gem of a husband. Thanks for sharing your sweet story.

And thanks for joining us for Marriage Monday today.

BTW, be sure to add your permalink to Mister Linky at Chrysalis so others can come and visit you. (I found your post through my sitemeter counter. :~D)

Blessings, e-Mom @ Chrysalis

CKF said...

Well now I have been inspired...I realize its not monday anymore but I will try for June:) And maybe sneak in my May one another monday just to get it started:)

I love reading your stories!
LY,MY,FF