Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Marriage Monday ~ Our Wedding Day!

1st Monday Every Month at Chrysalis

Click image to visit the Marriage Monday site!

Tim and I got married on August 22, 1998, after dating for 5 years. We were both 23 years old. YEP, we are celebrating our 10-year anniversary in just under 3 months! The year of 1998 was definitely one of the most eventful, busiest years of our lives. That is the year my mom fought and conquered Uterine Cancer. She also owned her own business with my (now) step dad, Cecil (aka Poppop), in which they created personalized gifts. They closed down the business that May (after 3 years) and went through a rough spot in their relationship at that point. Also, my mom was trying to re-establish herself in the working world, recovering from her cancer dilemma and the loss of their business (which happened to be their sole source of income). I graduated college (West Chester Univ) in May with a Bachelors degree in Psychology. I started a new job at GENEX Services in King of Prussia in July. Tim was working in a Sales position with my friend Nancy, but started a new job as the Flight School Director at Limerick Airport just after our honeymoon. A few months before our wedding, Tim and I moved into an apartment together in Gilbertsville. My cousin Karen had her son Julian in July, who was in the hospital for a bit, which was hard on us all, especially Karen and Julio of course! Karen and Julio got married the week before us. Also, Tim and I had our 5-year high school reunion that August as well.


OK, now that I've given you the (brief) review of the year we got married, now we can get into the fun details of our wedding day! I have to start by saying (which those who know me well, already know)... my memory is awful. Yes our wedding day was one of the best days of my life, that is for sure. But remembering all the specifics...uhhh...not so good at that! So, here we go... (oh and remember you can click on any image to view it larger)...

The night before our wedding, we had a rehearsal at the church and then rehearsal dinner at Tim's dad's house. After the party, I slept at my mom's house (with my sister-in-law Holly aka Boochy and my mom). Tim slept at our apartment with his brother Gary. We woke up early at my mom's house and began the preparations for the big day. My friend Krista came over around 10 am to do my hair. The photographers came to my mom's house to take pictures of me and the bridal party and my parents. Even my Poppop was there, which I was so very thankful for! (he died 1.5 years later and sadly never got to meet our girls) We were picked up by a limo and taken over to the church - St. Peter's Lutheran Church in Stowe, PA.

Church rehearsal...Wearing Bride & Groom shirts made by Tim's dad:

Brian holding baby Julian at the Rehearsal dinner...just over a month old:
Hair & makeup done, having fun getting ready:
My Poppop & I:
Sean & Brian outside the church before wedding:

Tim & his Aunt Angel heading into church together:
Brotherly love:

I remember being downstairs of the church with my closest family and friends (minus Tim of course!) It was a hot, hot, HOT day - the end of August, in a church with no air conditioning. My dress was heavy and long sleeved (what was I thinking?!?!) We were so stinkin hot down there and I was feeling true nervous excitement. Our photographer & videographer were there capturing the moment. Everyone was fanning me with papers and booklets to keep me cool. I stood in front of a fan, trying not to sweat off all my makeup!

Our Bridal Party consisted of:
Maid of Honor: My cousin Karen
Bridesmaids: Sister-in-law Boochy (Holly) & Friend Nancy
Best Man: Tim's brother Gary
Groomsmen: My brothers Sean & Brian

Tim's mom played the organ/piano for our wedding ceremony. So I knew the cue when I heard that traditional bridal march, it was time! My dad walked me down the aisle. I will never forget the look in Tim's eyes as I slowly walked toward him. The tears were going already (sorry if this embarrasses you baby, but I have to tell the truth!) so of course, that brought out some of my own tears. My dad kissed me and shook Tim's hand and there we stood, together for the first time on our Wedding Day!

Walking down the aisle (my dad was more nervous than me!):

Yep...those are tears you see...awww, isnt that cute?

The ceremony was about an hour and my favorite part was when we said 'I do'! We got married in the church Tim's mother belongs to (and is the Music Director for) so that was the reason for our choice. My cousin sang for us. I had chosen our wedding song 'The Gift', but last minute, my mother-in-law had her sing 'The Rose'. Not quite sure why, even to this day. But either way, Karen was awesome and it sounded beautiful! We had a Unity Candle, which I think is a nice wedding tradition.

View of the front of the church while Karen was singing:

Posing with the Pastor:
Our wedding rings, with Unity Candle & Marriage Certificate:
The whole bridal party!
Tim & I with Poppop Burns:
My mom & Cecil:


My dad & his wife Karen:


Tim's mom and (her now husband) Rick:

Tim's dad & (his then wife) Barbara:

I am thankful that we decided to have a receiving line, so we got to see every guest personally as they walked out. Also, everyone blew bubbles on our way out of the church, which was a lot of fun. After the ceremony, the bridal party went over to a park with a pond, in Gilbertsville to have formal portraits taken. It was beautiful and we got some great shots.








Then it was time to move on to the reception! Isn't that the fun part?! Our DJ was great and he really made the night spectacular! Everyone commented how much fun it was and he really did keep the crowd involved.

There were about 100 guests there, everyone was served a full-course meal with a choice of chicken or roast beef. We had all you could drink beer, wine and soda plus a champagne toast.

Tim's Aunt Angel made our cake for us and even chose the cake topper. Of course, we had to smash some into each other's faces!

Champagne toast:
Our first dance...'The Gift':
Cutting the cake:
...and...SMASH!

Tim requested that we not do the Chicken Dance, so what do you think the DJ did? Not only did we do the Chicken Dance, but we had to wear these ridiculous props while the song was played.

Of course Tim was a goofball taking the garter off of me - I was shocked (if you cant tell in the pic!) My friend Jai from college caught the bouquet and my bridesmaid Nancy's boyfriend (at the time) Jason caught the garter. Well the funny part was that Jason had never been to a wedding where they did the traditional garter thing, so our DJ had a surprise for him! He put a blindfold on Jason and sat Tim in the seat, then talked Jason through what to do. It was SO FUNNY! Thank goodness Jason was a good sport, then they did it the normal way of course!



The most emotional part of the entire day for me was when I danced with my father to 'Butterfly Kisses'. We both cried and that is the moment I truly felt that this was real. I was no longer a little girl. I was to become fully independent of my parents. Just an overwhelming feeling at that point.

Here are some fun dancing pics of the bridal party...




A nice picture of my mom and I together after a night of dancing!

Many people told me that I was one of the happiest brides they had ever seen! It was my goal to just have fun. All of the stress stopped that morning - I figured there was nothing I could do after that, so no sense in wasting time worrying about it. We were so excited to be getting married after being together for so long!

Here we are saying goodbye - on our way to our honeymoon in Aruba!!


Blog sig Kim

3 comments:

Susannah said...

Oh.my.goodness. This was delightful! I feel I was an invited guest--you told your story so well. Your gown was spectacular... you look like a princess.

Congratulations on your 10th anniversary! And thanks for joining us for Marriage Monday, Kim. :~D

Blessings, e-Mom @ Chrysalis

Elizabeth said...

oh my...you all look like well kids...but happy kids. gary looks like a goofball. but seriously, looks like you truely had a beautiful day. and at least "someone" combed their hair for YOUR wedding haha

CKF said...

it was beautiful. i love the photos and i wish i had taken them to my photographer to show them what a good photgrapher does lol! you looked beautiful and i remember it was beautiful!!