Thursday, December 6, 2007

Peace

Definition (paraphrased from Merriam-Webster)~
Peace:
1: a state of tranquility or quiet
2: freedom from disquieting or oppressive thoughts or emotions
3: harmony in personal relations
Related words: accord, amity, concord, calm, serenity, order, stability



At church on Sunday, the message was about 'Peace'. I have been thinking a lot about the sermon all week because it really touched me. Especially around the holiday season, I agree that it is so important to be at peace. With other people, with your life situations, with yourself.

Overall, I feel at peace with most things in my life. But there are a select few places where peace is lacking. People who I wish I could make peace with. My question is, does it take both people to make peace? Must you come to peace within yourself first regarding that person?

I plan to begin studying the Tao Te Ching during the upcoming new year. I feel this will add a dynamic of peace and personal growth to my life.

The Dalai Lama:
When we feel love and kindness toward others, it not only makes others feel loved and cared for, but it helps us also to develop inner happiness and peace.
Jimi Hendrix:
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.
Ralph Waldo Emerson:
Nothing can bring you peace but yourself.

No comments: