Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Harry Potter & the Prisoner of Azkaban


Harry Potter & the Prisoner of Azkaban (Book 3)

by J.K. Rowling

Published in 2004. 435 pages.

Amazon link

Genre: Fiction, Children's Lit, Fantasy

My Overall Score: 4/5

What its about (taken from amazon.com): The third book in J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series catapults into action when the young wizard "accidentally" causes the Dursleys' dreadful visitor Aunt Marge to inflate like a monstrous balloon and drift up to the ceiling. Harry is mysteriously rescued from his Muggle neighborhood and whisked off in a triple-decker, violently purple bus to spend the remaining weeks of summer in a friendly inn called the Leaky Cauldron. It seems that Sirius Black--an escaped convict from the prison of Azkaban--is on the loose. Not only that, but he's after Harry Potter. But why? And why do the Dementors, the guards hired to protect him, chill Harry's very heart when others are unaffected?

What I thought: I do enjoy the Harry Potter series so far. There are so many facets to each story and this book in particular, explained some of the history and introduced characters that will be important for future books. This is not one of my favorite genres though and I found myself getting sidetracked and losing interest at many points along the way. I do intend to read the rest of the series, but definitely not back-to-back. Plus, I'd like to see the movies up to this point, now that I've read the books. I'm interested to see how they compare. Also, if you want to read different perspectives about the book, check out the amazon link above and scroll down to reviews. Overall, this one got rave reviews!

Why I read it & where I got it: This was sitting on my bookshelf for years... it is actually my little brother's book - my great friend Colleen talked me into reading these (she has read them all, multiple times I believe)!

Date finished: April 27, 2009

Currently reading: Handle With Care by Jodi Picoult

Blog sig Kim

2 comments:

CKF said...

YEAH! You finished:) They get better and better as you go through them. The movies are good but the books have sO much more in them than the movies can do. The 6th movie comes out this summer but to give you an idea of the ultimate payoff-book 7....they are making it into 2 movies because there was just so much in it they couldnt cut things!

PlanningQueen said...

I have read this twice (the whole series twice) once each to my older boys. It is probably my fave from theseries.