Sunday, March 29, 2009

Breaking Dawn


** Possible Spoilers **

Breaking Dawn
(The Twilight Saga Book 4)

by Stephenie Meyer

Published in 2008. 768 pages.

Amazon link

Click to read my reviews:
Twilight
New Moon
Eclipse

Genre: Fiction, Young Adult (YA), Fantasy

My Overall Score: 2.5/5

What its about (taken from amazon.com): In Breaking Dawn, the fourth and final installment in the series, Bella’s story plays out in some unexpected ways. The ongoing conflicts that made this series so compelling--a human girl in love with a vampire, a werewolf in love with a human girl, the generations-long feud between werewolves and vampires--resolve pretty quickly, apparently so that Meyer could focus on Bella’s latest opportunity for self-sacrifice: giving her life for someone she loves even more than Edward. It’s as if Meyer was afraid of hurting her characters too much, which is unfortunate, because the pain Bella suffered at losing Edward in New Moon, and the pain Jacob suffered at losing Bella again and again, are the fire and the heart that drive the whole series. Diehard fans will stick with Bella, Edward, and Jacob for as many twists and turns as possible, but after most of the characters get what they want with little sacrifice, some readers may have a harder time caring what happens next.

What I thought: This was definitely my least favorite book of this series. It had nearly zero 'spark'. I had to force myself to pick it up each time to read. The characters were blah. This story contained nearly no romance. Strange story lines. Way too many new characters introduced, none of whom I remotely cared about. Um, pedophilia? (OK that may seem like a stretch, but that's what it felt like to me). Breaking Dawn should have been cut in half, maybe then it could have redeemed itself? This book just had a completely different tone than the other three - some have even speculated that Meyer didn't actually write it? It left me feeling.... like I wish I had stopped reading after Eclipse...

Why I read it & where I got it: I ordered this from amazon.com and read it to complete the 4-book Twilight series.

Date finished: March 28, 2009

Currently reading: The Shack by William P. Young

Blog sig Kim

1 comment:

CKF said...

I didn't read your review yet because I saw your score and I didn't want to get scared off-I have come this far!! I will read when I am done and do a full review of the series for you!