Monday, April 6, 2009

The Shack


The Shack

by William P. Young

Published in 2008. 256 pages.

Amazon link

Official SITE

Genre: Fiction, Spirituality

My Overall Score: 5/5

What its about (taken from amazon.com): Mackenzie Allen Philips' youngest daughter, Missy, has been abducted during a family vacation and evidence that she may have been brutally murdered is found in an abandoned shack deep in the Oregon wilderness. Four years later in the midst of his Great Sadness, Mack receives a suspicious note, apparently from God, inviting him back to that shack for a weekend. Against his better judgment he arrives at the shack on a wintry afternoon and walks back into his darkest nightmare. What he finds there will change Mack's world forever. In a world where religion seems to grow increasingly irrelevant "The Shack" wrestles with the timeless question, "Where is God in a world so filled with unspeakable pain?" The answers Mack gets will astound you and perhaps transform you as much as it did him. You'll want everyone you know to read this book!

What I thought: Fantastic! By far, the best book I have read this year! I devoured this book in one day! I am not into Godly books where they shove it down your throat preaching at you. If that's what you're looking for, this is NOT it. Instead, this book opened my mind and filled me with hope. I can see how it could be considered controversial, but if you go into it with an open mind, hopefully you will love it as much as I did!

Why I read it & where I got it: I asked around for book suggestions and many people gave me this title as THE book to read. It didn't sound like my type of book but I broke down and ordered it from amazon.com. (BTW, I'm soooo glad I did!) Thanks to all those who suggested it to me!

Date finished: March 29, 2009 - in one day!

Currently reading: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Book 3) by J.K. Rowling

Blog sig Kim

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

wish i could get into this book the way you did...i'm still trying to finish it. oh well, one of these days...